Kathryn Joseph – the want (from the album bones you have thrown me and blood I’ve spilled, Hits The Fan Records)



Now and again a piece of music arrives that tends to wash other things out.

Something arresting and transformative to make you want to put words away, that’s what this is.

It’s a perfect miniature and soaked in atmosphere, such a prized quality in all music but particularly pop music.

And all with just the merest piano chords and a voice that swoons and cracks.

Kathryn Joseph is the Scottish Album of the Year (SAY) Award winner and could there be a more deserving one especially when you read words like these from a recent interview at the SAY awards.

http://thegenn.co.uk/kathryn-joseph-wins-scottish-album-of-the-year-award/

“I didn’t love my music before and now I love it because Marcus (MacKay, producer) has made it harder, stronger and more beautiful, and I’d never felt like that about it before.”

And now I’m going to put words away and just listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of 2014 - Part 4: Jazz/Chamber/Orchestral/Wonky/Ambient/Minimalist

Best of 2014 - Part 3: Psych/Krautrock/Punk/Blues/Glam/Tropical

Matthew Bourne - Montauk Variations (The Leaf Label)