2022 - the year of the dan: chapter 1

I'm going to post out some thoughts on live shows I was at this year. I'll put them out between now and the end of the year.

It's a bit of an experiment because, unlike whenever I've written live reviews before, this time (for the most part) I was writing at a remove of many months. These were not thoughts I put down at the time of the gig. So these are thoughts dependent on memory - I suppose all thoughts are but with these ones longer term memory - in that whatever I've written consists of impressions that have stayed with me over time. I like the idea of forcing myself to depend on memory this way. It might create a different kind of review. Less detail probably, but heavier on general currents, patterns, trends. Shorter (good says you). Plus it would presumably incorporate more of an overview of all the shows together. Because, whether these artists were aware of it or not, each one was being listened to and judged in comparison to each of the others.

In 2022 I've been at 30 gigs. One every 11.86 days. Comfortably more than I would see in a normal year. But 2022 wasn't really a normal year. I made a decision this year to go to see bands and artists I wouldn't have usually. I went on a punt. Took a chance. Or on a recommendation. As you'll see, in some cases I ended up at gigs I hadn't even planned on going to. Something about 2022 made going with the flow make sense in a way it never did before. And the flow this year turned out to be pretty fucking good. So this is chapter 1 of 30.

*The title, well you'll have to stick around to find out the meaning, unless you're Kev who came up with it. Thanks Kev!

Chapter 1

The year started in February. A Lazarus Soul in Coughlans. A gig I hadn’t even noticed but someone in work had two tickets they weren’t using. What a gift. Me and K were there, up the front rammed in with fifty other warm breathing bodies fresh out of lockdown.

It was loud. It was jangly. It was stirring. It was moving.

Brian Brannigan would remind you of a more focused Shane MacGowan. (With better teeth.) Joe Chester on guitar like a possessed Johnny Marr.

Memorable songs with a distinct sense of place. Long balconies. Black and amber. Mercury hit a high. Magic. We sang along.

It felt like life starting again.

Quick mention also for Arrivalists in support. Pat Barrett is a wonderful singer and the sound here brings to mind The Blue Nile. I like the fact that one man and an acoustic guitar can bring to mind The Blue Nile.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of 2014 - Part 4: Jazz/Chamber/Orchestral/Wonky/Ambient/Minimalist

Best of 2014 - Part 3: Psych/Krautrock/Punk/Blues/Glam/Tropical

Matthew Bourne - Montauk Variations (The Leaf Label)