2022 - the year of the dan: chapter 25

Chapter 25

The last time I saw Richard Hawley was in The Opera House. Him and band. All seated. Now I love Richard Hawley but I said then I’ll never go and see him there again. Somehow the seated audience did not fit with his noisier oeuvre – Standing at the sky’s edge et al. The quieter material and ballads worked a dream there. That’s why I didn’t buy a ticket to see Richard Hawley this time. But again the universe dictated that I would attend…you know the way…friend of a friend…

(Incidentally the best venue I’ve seen him in was The Savoy. All standing. All his material worked great there including all 10 minutes of the majestic Remorse code.)

Turned out it wasn’t him and band at all. Just him and Shez Sheridan. I said I would have bought a ticket if I could be guaranteed a set of ballads. That’s what I got, just not with the band arrangements.

What are we left with? His velvety croon which is a fantastic instrument in itself. And some wonderful songs. Including what felt like a special treat for me. The sublime For your lover give some time from Truelove’s gutter, my favourite Hawley album. Even then I found myself humming the absent cello line. The forlorn inner voice of the song.

And the nagging reminder. Richard. Bring the full band. Bring the string section. Play just the ballads. You know you want to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of 2014 - Part 4: Jazz/Chamber/Orchestral/Wonky/Ambient/Minimalist

Best of 2014 - Part 3: Psych/Krautrock/Punk/Blues/Glam/Tropical

Matthew Bourne - Montauk Variations (The Leaf Label)