Bill Ryder-Jones – A leave taking (from the A leave taking Soundtrack EP, Double 6)

Bill Ryder-Jones – A leave taking (from the A leave taking Soundtrack EP, Double 6)

The Coral cropped up recently in relation to Neville Skelly and here they are again, kind of. Bill Ryder-Jones was the original guitarist in the band, before striking out on his own a few years ago. Here's a quote from him worth copying -

When I left the band I wasn't playing much music at all but in 2009 a friend got in touch asking if I would write something for this short he was making, which I did. It's pretty much the only thing I wrote that year but the process opened another world up to me. We thought it'd be nice to give it away to the people who have been interested in what I've been doing on my own and also to hint at the future a little bit. My album, which is a soundtrack inspired by a novel, is pretty much a progression from the things learnt when writing for Leave Taking.’

And apparently, this is the novel.


As he says above, this 4-track EP is available for free, just go here and give your e-mail -

http://www.dominorecordco.com/billryderjones

Don't just get it cos it's free though. The title track is a completely intoxicating piece of music - I've played it about ten times in a row already and I'm not finished yet. It's a plangent piano instrumental with deep, deep, droning cello accompaniment, which gives it a maritime feel, and a lone violin. Beautiful, but heartbreaking. For recent comparisons, I can only think of Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat or maybe Olafur Arnalds. That's privileged company. Here's the video, made by Adeline Mai. It perfectly captures the watery weightlessness of the tune.



There's also a taster here for the forthcoming album, which is due to be announced soon. If you can get past the frustration of the medley of clips involved, it sounds absolutely fascinating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of 2014 - Part 4: Jazz/Chamber/Orchestral/Wonky/Ambient/Minimalist

Best of 2014 - Part 3: Psych/Krautrock/Punk/Blues/Glam/Tropical

Matthew Bourne - Montauk Variations (The Leaf Label)